- 820 Broadway
The Gallery was founded in 1981 at 1078 Humboldt Road in Chico, CA, as an artist's collective and alternative exhibition space. In 1986, the gallery became a non-profit organization, widened its mission, and moved to 738 W. 5th Street. It has been at its current location on 820 Broadway since summer 2006.
Today the 1078 Gallery features exhibitions, performances, and installations by artists of cultural and geographic diversity and promotes an appreciation of contemporary and experimental works from regional, state, national, and international locations. The Gallery has been awarded exemplary status by the California Arts Council and has received several National Endowment for the Arts organization grants. It is supported, in part, by funding from the City of Chico and its Art Commission and by its very vital membership. The 1078 is widely recognized by the Chico community as being a necessary element in maintaining cultural currency in all art forms for local residents.